Shop www.KnittedtoaT.com

Shop www.KnittedtoaT.com
Our On Line Store and Info.

Saturday, October 7, 2006

Soctoberfest Q & A

Yep I joined Soctoberfest this year. I am hoping to get a sock done this month, but it isn't looking promising. I just can't seem to get my knitting time in. This dang moving and unpacking is cutting into my knitting time royally. I digress. On to my answers to the questions that Lolly posted the other day.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
Gee I believe it was some time in 1998. It was the first thing that I ever knit and I taught myself from the pattern.


What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was my first knitting project ever. There were quite a few mistakes and I didn't know how to go back and fix them without ripping them back to the very beginning. They were a pair of over the knee socks for my 6'6" husband with size 17 feet! Unfortunately I used Wool-Ease to knit them without any other reinforcement. They fell apart in the heals after the 3rd wear. :'( I quit knitting until I was pregnant with my son in 2005 then wanted to make some blankets and such for him so I thought I would give it a try and have been hooked ever since.


What would you have done differently?
I would have used a better yarn that would have held up better and used mega reinforcement in the heals and toes.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Ohhh I love Lorna's Laces, Regia, Claudia Handpaints, Trekking XXL and many more. There are so many that I want to try, Socks that Rock are on the top of my list.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I knit my socks. OMG you can crochet socks?! I would love to see that!! I will use DPN's or the magic loop. I found that the magic loop seems to travel easier. You don't have to worry about 4 or 5 needles and the chance of loosing one. Also it works so much easier with a toddler in the house. The 2 needles point toward me so I don't have to worry about him running up to me and getting poked by a needle. Another plus is that you can slide the sock onto the cord and there is much less of a chance of a needle getting pulled out and you can try them on as you go.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I guess at this point I would have to say flap since that is the only one that I have ever made. I want to try the short row one and see how I like it. I would love to try any and all that are out there so I will have something to choose from and be able to change things up from time to time.

How many pairs have you made?

Not many at all. I have made 3 1/2 pair not counting the one that I started for Soctoberfest.

Well those are my answers. Not very thrilling or exciting, but I hope that as the years pass I will have more to report for the Soctoberfests in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a married Mother of 2 beautiful boys and 1 adorable girl. James was born on 1-1-05. Isaac born on 7-21-09. Anna born on 3-21-12 I have been married since Nov. 2001. I have 3 dogs (white lab/mastiff mix, black lab and black lab mix), 4 black cats, many angora rabbits (French, English and German, many fish, hamsters, hermit crabs, frogs, chickens and our newest additions 2 bottle lambs - or as my husband fondly calls it "the zoo." I currently live in Indiana, but grew up in Ohio. I am a house wife, and absolutely love my job. I have started my own hand dyeing business called Knitted to a T. I sell had dyed yarns, rovings, stitch markers, wool washes, patterns, and many other goodies.